Thursday, August 10, 2017

Fuel Problems!

The Mini Mark has been back together for around five years now and I have had a lot of fun driving the car around. Three years ago I learned of the Bremen Firemen's Car Show on the 4th of July Weekend. The first year I went I learned a lot about the car and talked to people who worked there as well as learning the name of one of the founders. After that great day driving home the coil went out and the Mini Mark had to be towed back home for replacement. The next year weather was not good and opted not to drive the hour to the show. This year the weather was great and started the drive to Bremen. About half way there I stopped for gas and a few miles later the car sputtered and died on the side of the road. I was able to find a driveway and after a few quick checks found out the car was not getting gas. I blew the fuel line back which started a fuel flow. Hooked everything back up and on the road again. Well, a bit too much optimism as between there, the car show and back home I had to blow the fuel line back six times. NOT a fun day driving. I actually began to think the car didn't want to drive back to where it was made and acted up as a child would!

The next day I drained the fuel tank and found the problem. There were four silicone slugs in the tank. It was clear silicone which I never use on the car. I only use black RTV and did not ever use any in the fuel tank area. The slugs were actually push out from a gasket sealing, where the screws go thru. Clear silicone expands when in gasoline which really made a bad situation. The tank has a dip where the outlet is, so these slugs rolled and were sucked into the outlet blocking the fuel.  I flushed the fuel tank numerous times and scoped it to see if I could find anything. Just the four slugs, the rest was clean. 


I did find out there is a baffle welded in the middle of the tank! which I did not know about. Good design since it keeps the fuel from sloshing back and forth in the tank and when taking corners. 

After finding no other "junk" in the tank I wanted a fail safe just in case anything ever got in the tank again. I was tired of blowing and sucking gas during what should be pleasant drives.

Just as a side note, during the winter months I had removed the brass fuel line elbow from the bottom of the tank and replaced it with a shut off. Didn't want to take any chances with the car parked of fuel leaking into the oil sump or flooding the garage.

After sorting thru my box of springs, I found one which I could force into the shut off valve. It is heavy gauge steel and I bent the tail to make an even tighter fit in the valve. Anything like these slugs gets close to the outlet again the spring should stop it from blocking the fuel flow completely. 

The inside of the fuel tank wasn't too rusty considering the age. I have been using fuel additive since the rebuild to keep rust to a minimum. Lastly before putting it back on the road I pulled out the original carburetor and put a rebuild kit in it. After a few frustrating days the car was ready to go again. Have put around seventy miles on it since than and it is running GREAT! Hopefully that problem is behind me. For any of the smaller particles which might get thru I have a GF61 in line fuel filter between the tank and the carburetor. 

I would suggest to owners out there, put a shut off, large steel can fuel filter and if you can a spring in the outlet. It may save the car from fire, and also avoid a fuel starve if something gets in the tank.




No comments:

Post a Comment