Thursday, August 10, 2017

A Bit More Chrome

During spring 2016 while looking at some of the traditional sport roadsters I came across a few that had rock shields on the front of the rear fenders. I liked the look and started wondering how I could make a set for the Mini Mark. I contemplated finding someone with an English wheel and trying to roll them. The only problem was that it was really a compound form. The contour of the fender and then the roll over for the flair. Thinking about it most of the year I finally came up with the idea of finding something "close" and customizing it. 

I went web browsing and started looking at trailer fenders. Stamped 15" trailer fenders were close to what I wanted, and they had the compound roll. I was able to order just one at a reasonable cost, and started the customization process. I made a cardboard pattern of the design I wanted and started cutting metal. I then made a pattern of both contours and with body hammers, made the final adjustments to get a perfect fit to the fender. One side down, one to go! After all the hammering, I started sanding and metal finishing the shields. Finally I was able to get a mirror like finish and only then did they go to chrome plating. 

When they came back I put a thin sheet of rubber behind the shields and drilled a few holes mounting them to the fender. I think they look good, and keep the unexpected flying rock from chipping the paint there. As with most areas of working on the car I learned some new skills on this project.  

No comments:

Post a Comment