Sunday, July 5, 2015

Going Home- Bremen Indiana

 I know it has been a while since I have made a post to the blog, the blog is still getting many views and I have been busy enjoying our Mini Mark and conversing on the Facebook page. The weather has been a bit cool, and rainy, but while not necessarily out driving I am busy looking for new car shows to attend this summer. Recently I came across something that just seemed ironic to say the least. 

The Bremen Indiana Fire Department was hosting a Car Show July 2, 2015 as part of their Summer Fair. Bremen is only around an hours drive, and as long as the weather held this was a show I was looking forward to. This would be the first trip our car had made back home, and it was being hosted by the Fire Department, which worked the fire that destroyed the production plant and put the nail in the coffin for the Mini Mark. 

As it turned out the day was beautiful, mid 70's and barely a cloud in the sky. I had been in contact with Adam who was in charge of the show with a few emails and he knew we were coming. I had also asked him for ANY information he could dig up on the car or the plant. 

Adam was able to get me a name before the show, but that wasn't the end of it. He spread the word and during the show I made contact with around eight people familiar with the cars and the factory. I will be following up over the next few weeks with the contacts made to see if I can put the story in a little better verified format than what I have posted. 

The Mini Mark didn't bring home any awards at this show, but the contacts made far outweigh any award. One thing for sure, the car did get allot of attention and comments during the show. There were also a group of people who didn't know a car was built in Bremen. 

There was a rather interesting story that one of the ex police chiefs shared. There was a Mini Mark in Bremen and it was driven in the local parade. After the parade the owner took the car home and parked it in the driveway. A few hours later the owner came out and the car was gone. Now mind you Bremen isn't a big town by any means, but someone had stolen the Mini Mark. Police reports were filed, and a few days later the local police were contacted by a department in Alabama, as it seems they had recovered the Mini Mark. Two teens had stolen the car and driven it to Alabama to a buyer. Well, on their way, an office was intrigued by the car on the road. The car hadn't broken and laws, but he pulled it over for a look. One thing led to another and the thieves are apprehended and the car returned home. 

Hopefully in the next few weeks I will be able to correct and update previous posts on the Mini Mark, Hopefully I will be able to piece together more of the history of this great car.

Until then, enjoy the summer and getting your car out on the highway.   


2 comments:

  1. I hope you learn a lot about the history of the Bremen. A lot of people ask me about mine and I have only just limited information, most of it from your site. Keep up the good work. That Bremen looks great. :) I wish you could have shown it off at the car show here in Mountain View, Arkansas this weekend. I have to work so I didn't get to show mine off, but it always sits under our sign:

    https://www.facebook.com/wildflowerbandb/photos/a.1023056207706971.1073741827.196909606988306/1045139285498663/?type=1&theater

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dec. 2015, acquired a 1987 Mini Mark,(year built by my brother-in-law). 1969 VW frame and engine. Sat for many years, so have done lots of repairs. Swapping out the Auto/manual trans for a highway 4 speed. Also changing drum brakes to disk. It's White, black top, and I drive it daily. 3000 miles when I received it. Over 9000 miles now.

    ReplyDelete