Thursday, January 17, 2013

The Re-Assembly Continues

 The small steps continued. The original back up lights didn't look quite the "new" look  I wanted for the rebuild. Searching the internet under back up lights and utility lights didn't bring up what I was looking for, so I turned my searches to lights for motorcycles. I found aluminum billet housing turn signal lamps. Doing a little conversion after I got them, and replacing the bulbs with clear rather than amber I had two bright stylish back up lights, just what I wanted.

I had mentioned the replacement tail lights and turn signals earlier in the blog. Here is a better picture of how they look. I moved the license plate from the engine cover to the left rear fender with the tail/brake lamp. I will explain more about the engine cover later.

The other main lamps on the vehicle were the headlamps. I had toyed with what to do for the front ever since I bought the car home. The front turn signals were converted fog lamps with amber lenses. The originals were very rusted, and actually had been painted when I took them off. I thought of moving the turn and running lights to the top of the fenders as older MG's had. I kept looking and looking and finally found the solution. RJay's Speed Shop had King Bee 7" Headlamps with a built in turn signal and running light. The lamps have the original sealed beam look, yet had a built in 1157 lamp. Everything contained in one complete sharp looking light.

The only concern when mounting these lamps was grounding. With all of the lamps inside one assembly and mounting on fiberglass I decided to run a woven ground strap from the mounting bolt to the frame. That strap should cover all the amperage required for the lights. I did a little re-alignment of the mounting holes, and made sure the front trunk flaps opened and closed before tightening everything down.

Next was installing the trunk lids. I polished the stainless, hinge and made small rubber gaskets between the hinge and body mounting. I also made rubber gaskets for the length of the hinge. This was one of the only areas on the car where i decided to stay with the original pop rivet design. It wasn't long and the trunk lids were in place. I re-attached the hold downs and moved on to the straps which hold them open. The original were black and frayed when I took them off. I found some new woven red strapping in McMaster Carr and replaced both of them. The mounting of the straps to the lids was a little bit weak in the original as noted by the numerous pop rivet holes which were pulled loose, so I carefully drilled holes for thread inserts allowing for 1/4-20 bolts and epoxied them in place.

I also wanted to replace the original plastic windshield washer nozzles. I found  some stainless nozzles that fit an older Corvette and mounted them in place. new windshield washer hose and working washers (somehow I doubt I will ever use them??). While I was at it I installed a new washer switch on the dash. This one is the right size for the hole and has a nut on back to hold it in place.

I just found out my bumpers and grille are ready, so Saturday I will make the trip to Quality Chrome Plating in Sterling Illinois to pick them up. I can't wait to see them and get them installed back on the car. I will let you know how that goes in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment